Tuesday, October 9, 2007

BACK TO BASICS: THE NAIJA WOMAN'S SURVIVAL KIT

I can't tell you how excited I am about starting up this blog. Wow!! I am so thrilled; It's ringing in my head like school bells. My very first words, I hope i use the right words, I am kind of nervous to be sincere, don’t want to make a mess of my introductory note to the people of blogville.
The idea for this particular post, or should I say my very first article on this blog actually came to my head like a flashing light bulb on a deeply uneventful day( I know, I such a sucker for similes)
I happen to be the third child in a family of four. My younger sister and I are practically the same size and as you would expect we capitalized on our ‘fortune’ by sharing each others clothes. As youngsters, we always had a shopping budget set by our parents and of course it was never enough , so we always had to make a ‘basic’ list of the things we were going to get and left the ‘wish lists’ for birthdays , while ensuring we didn’t by the same item.
Going ‘back to basics’ is a similar list like the one my younger sister and I used to make, it is all about buying the essentials for sustenance and survival in the ever changing fashion market. So I am going to put you all through what you need to get to stay ever fashionable in Nigeria while taking our climate into consideration. Enjoy!


sunglasses: The sun shines forever in this country and we need to protect ourselves from its ‘evil’ so I say sunglasses are definitely a ‘must have’. I absolutely love them because they are tres fashionable and they can give one a fierce or playful look depending on the one you get. I love fashion accessories that say a lot about ones personality, and I think sunglasses kind of have that magic! One will certainly look ‘haWt’ provided it is the right fit for your head shape. No one says its compulsory to get the designer ones you know!, I go around this Lagos a lot and sunglasses are everywhere, as It’s the fashion remedy to Sun shine and its effects on our precious eyeballs…we all need to get them either by hook or crook…so you go ahead and stop that street hawker selling them while in traffic and get them if you plan to survive in naija!




The versatile shoes: The special kind of a pair of shoes one can have are the versatile types or as my mom will call them ‘ knock-about shoes’ razz I know, but there is a certain kind of truth to the name because you can wear them everywhere and anywhere. As it is not easy to walk on the streets of Lagos with the okadas and co you can’t afford not to have versatile shoes. They are comfortable, in other words, no heels and can be fashionable. The ultimate versatile shoes are sandals and ballet flats. They are everywhere, in our local markets and boutiques so it’s affordable to everyone who wants to be a survivor. They can be worn with anything; you name them, perfect for the streets of Lagos and the sole of your feet!




The suit: Every Nigerian woman has to have a suit. First and foremost, it is two items in one; see it as a blazer and a skirt or a pair of trousers. The suit can be worn to different occasions. If you don’t work in an office where it is compulsory to always suit up, then you have to own at least a suit. It can be formal and sexy that is why I advise it for people. It will always come in handy. A form-fitted suit will forever be gorgeous because it will enhance your figure at the right spots.




The ‘freak-um’ dress: Every naija woman just has to own a ‘freak-um’ dress to survive. We all have a man in our lives, or want one, right? And you know we have to freak them sometimes with some show stopping outfits. The ‘freak-um’ dress is one which accentuates ones figure while giving you the ‘WOW’ factor when you step out in style like a true fashionista that you are. It can take any form or style; it can be a mini dress, the LBD (little black dress), a shift dress and the list goes on. Personally, I think ‘freak-um’ dresses are best in mettalics, sequins or the 80’s body conscious- cling, fit and glamour. Babes will be looking hellishly sexy in these.




The Big Bag: The big bag never disappoints. It is designer’s closest creation to a machine if I must add. It is the ultimate multi-tasker as it can occupy everything and anything and makes you look gorgeous at the same time! Come to think of it; a big bag can actually contain every item in my ‘back to basic’ list! Damn! It offers you the best of both worlds. I don’t know what I’ll do without it. It’s absolutely incredible; it is just what you need to survive. It always comes in handy and does a good job in complementing your outfit. It is the icing on a well decorated cake!







The Plain Pair of Jeans: Gone are those days when my heart was young and gay…lol…was going back in the days of uniforms and assembles…anyway, plain pair of jeans are the ‘it’ right now. Its beauty is in its plain design. Having a pair is like having three pairs because they can be easily repeated a number of times without you being self conscious that your haters will recognise them and spread the gist (yes! Some people never grow up!).One has to know how to play it 007 when buying these jeans, Here are some tips:


1) Avoid embellishments- They tend to make your jeans stand out and the whole idea of getting plain jeans is going undercover.



2) Avoid big labels- This doesn’t need an explanation, it’s the same with embellishments.



3) Go extra safe with the colour- I suggest you stick to light or dark blue jeans. Go for the typical colours when getting plain jeans. It’s way too difficult to repeat the same white pair of jeans if you know what i mean!



4) Don’t go for the jeans trends at that point in time- Now that high waist jeans are in, you can’t afford to buy a plain pair of high-waist jeans and think no one will recognise them because no matter how plain they might be you’ll still stand out because you are rocking a trend and its difficult to rock it twice!








The Waist-Belt: They are still on trend my dears so don’t throw them away just yet. The waist belt is in my naija woman’s survival kit for very valid reasons. It has the Midas touch as it can transform an ill fitted top into a perfect fit, you’ll even end up praying for some breathing space! It gives one a waist where there is none and an hour-glass figure when the waist is existent. Before the coming of age of the waist-belts, tank tops and jeans were the norm, suddenly it seems awfully boring sometimes and now you can spice it up with a waist-belt. It’s the answer to a clueless outfit day.






The Ankara: This is by far my best African fabric; I love its versatility and its texture as it is best suited for the Nigerian climate. It can be beautifully combined with other fabrics and different looks can be created from the mix. In other words it can be made perfect for every occasion. It has the ‘va-va-voom’ effect when properly tailored. O, how I love me some Ankara!








The Watch: I never was a fan of watches, but that has changed since I discovered it can be the ultimate fashion ‘tell all about my personality accessory’. I strongly believe in uniqueness when it comes to ones personal style and what other way to display it, with the use of a watch. The watch is kind of a compulsory accessory, so why not get one that is fashionable while staying true to your personal style as it ensures you are right on track with the time 24/7!








The Tank Top: Nigeria is ‘hot hot hot’ and tank tops are perfect for our weather. They can be fashionable if worn properly and combined with the right accessories. They can give this casual chic look and also can be glamorous if you wear a sequined or an embellished one with will do you a great deal in the dark.Tank tops are great for everyday wear. Every Nigerian woman should own a few as they are affordable , although I personally will advice you to get them at our local markets.






That's all for now.Looking forward to viewing your comments.Always remember to keep your fashion freak on!

Yours' Stylishly,


naiafashionfreak.

No comments: